June 24, 2010

Pink Eye

So the other day I noticed Kennedy's eyes were kinda pink and had some really green, slimy boogies, so like every other time she has a boogie (in her nose or her eye), I picked it. 10 minutes later, it was back. So I wiped it again. This continued for a couple hours, so I thought... "oh great, my child has pink eye and Nate and I are going to get it too!!" So I called the doctor to get her in to get some "pink eye drops"
Here is what she looked like before we went to the doctor


Pink, watery, boogery eyes...


So while we were waiting for the doctor, I noticed her eye was starting to swell quite significantly.


Exhibit A:

So the Dr. checked out her eyes and said it was pink eye and prescribed some drops. When I got home, I attempted putting the eye drops in. After a lot of wrestling to keep her arms and legs from kicking me in the throat and trying to open her screaming, squinted eyes, I got the drops in. By now, the swelling was pretty bad...

Exhibit B:


I knew her eyes would be nasty and crusted shut in the morning, so I went in while she was sleeping and tried to get some of the crusty-ness off with some cotton balls. It did absolutely nothing. In the morning, when she woke up, I could tell she was trying to open her eyes, but they were so crusted she couldn't open them. It was so cute to see her with her eyebrows up, trying to open her eyelids and looking around trying to figure out what was going on.


Here is what she looked like when she woke up.


Not normal...


I've had pink eye before and all that happened to me was itchy, red, boogery eyes... no swelling. So I looked online to see if maybe pink eye in a baby was a little different... nope. Pink eye is the same for everyone. So I called the Dr. and said something is wrong with her eyes, so they told me to go the ER.... THE ER?! It's THAT serious? Is she going to be blind?!?!?! (those are just a few of the thoughts that went through my head.)


At the hospital they gave her a shot of antibiotics and some Benadryl to help with the swelling then they sent me home with some medicine and a different pink eye cream to give her instead of the drops that she apparently is allergic to.


Now the swelling is gone, and she is looking semi normal again...


(minus the hemorrhage in her eye ball)


Thank you insurance for taking care of all the bills!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh that is the saddest thing ever!! Poor baby Ken Ken! What a good Mommy you are Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! I hope that she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh steph... oh kennedy.. so glad you are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh. that is so sad. :(

    ...and to answer ur question. I go AT LEAST once a day (except sunday) for AT LEAST an hour (sometimes an hour and a half). I even go twice sometimes if I'm able to (like late at night after Spencer gets home from work) but i'll probably go twice a day on two or three days of the week-not everyday, due to the baby of course. if i always could go twice a day then i definitely would. i think thats what helped me to lose 10 in a lil over 2 weeks. i also have been watching my portions. i usually like to eat seconds or thirds of stuff, but I've been trying to just eat one serving of everything and not eat until i am really really hungry. the less calories the better.

    oh and at the gym i've been doing lots of zumba, just started pilates classes last week and turbo kick classes the week b4....ALL GREAT classes by the way. they keep me working for an hour straight, not giving me a chance to give up. the nights i go twice is when i just do cardio for an hour-the elliptical for 30 mins. then WALK the treadmill for 30 mins. believe it or not but walking after u get ur heart rate up is whats gonna burn the fat, not running. then a little weight lifting after. that is also key to burning fat because u are breathing throughout it (and sorry, this is just my exercise science degree talking here) haha!

    but yah, that's whats worked for me!! i gained 40 total. 20 of it was off a week later-came off with the baby and my lack of an appetite for a few days. leaving me with 20 to lose. so now that 10 came off since ive been back in utah (2 1/2 wks) i have 10 more to go!!! good luck!! i know a lot of it is eating A LOT less than normal too!! so try that. it makes a huge difference. :)

    ReplyDelete